Big Brother and Cheaters have one thing in common: an abundance of people who gossip and connive against each other. The two shows have another similarity, too: the presence of an army of cameras.
Reality TV has a glut not only of eager participants, but also outdoor security cameras that monitor these participants’ interaction with one another. In fact, in a reality TV set, it is not uncommon for there to be as many as ten outdoor security cameras. What goes on outside enclosed spaces is just as interesting as the goings-on from within, after all.
What Are the Functions of Cameras in Reality Shows?
Reality shows focus on human activity and interaction – from the mundane to the unusual. For each reality show episode, it is not uncommon for hundreds of hours of film to be shot. That’s right—hundreds of hours! To ensure that the juicier parts of these activities and interactions are captured, cameras are placed in strategically located places. Inside Big Brother’s house, it’s not very easy to hide these electronic eyes. Outdoors, however, outdoor security cameras can be quickly camouflaged to lull people into a sense of complacency. People are at their most honest when they are at their most unguarded.
Are Outdoor Security Cameras As Useful As Indoor Surveillance Cameras?
In reality shows, indoor and outdoor cameras have equal importance. Again, what goes on inside the house is just as telling as what goes on out of it. In Cheaters, for example, many a husband or wife has been caught in flagrante delicto with a lover inside the master’s bedroom. Outdoor security cameras are as effective as indoor cameras. Guilty parties have been captured by outdoor security cameras riding boats, having picnics, and even using a car for more than driving!
What Is an Outdoor Security Camera?
Outdoor security cameras are one type of surveillance camera. They are used for a variety of everyday purposes, such as securing banks and homes. There are several reasons outdoor security cameras are ideal for filming reality shows:
– The lens is protected from rain and snow. This ensures that the lens remain clear and dry.
– Outdoor security cameras can work even in complete darkness. This feature is particularly useful for shows such as Cheaters, where there is a need to catch those who believe that night time is the right time.
– Outdoor security cameras do not produce any noise or flash. This helps the camera remain hidden.
– Outdoor security cameras do not require wires or film. This makes the filming of reality shows lighter on corporate pockets.
– Outdoor security cameras don’t need to be focused, and they have no complex settings. This makes it the perfect device for upholding the rule of KISS (Keep it simple, stupid).
– Outdoor security cameras contain a time and date setting. Therefore, it’s easier to organize the miles of footage shot for each reality show episode.
Reality shows hold audiences spellbound because they depict what people do in real-life situations. They provide us with mirrors we can use to look at ourselves. Some say reality TV has peaked and will soon lose its popularity. Whether or not reality TV continues its iron grip on primetime ratings, one thing is certain: as long as there are reality shows, there will be outdoor security cameras.